Aloha! CardioNerds (Amit Goyal & Karan Desai) join University of Hawaii cardiology fellows (Isaac Mizrahi, Nath Limpruttidham, Nishant Trivedi, and Shana Greif) for some shaved iced on the Big Island’s north shore! They discuss a fascinating case of a patient presenting with decompensated heart failure found to have a giant coronary aneurysm. Program director Dr. Dipanjan Banerjee provides the E-CPR as well as a message for applicants. Episode notes were developed by Johns Hopkins internal medicine resident Tommy Das with mentorship from University of Maryland cardiology fellow Karan Desai.
The CardioNerds Cardiology Case Reports series shines light on the hidden curriculum of medical storytelling. We learn together while discussing fascinating cases in this fun, engaging, and educational format. Each episode ends with an “Expert CardioNerd Perspectives & Review” (E-CPR) for a nuanced teaching from a content expert. We truly believe that hearing about a patient is the singular theme that unifies everyone at every level, from the student to the professor emeritus.
We are teaming up with the ACC FIT Section to use the #CNCR episodes to showcase CV education across the country in the era of virtual recruitment. As part of the recruitment series, each episode features fellows from a given program discussing and teaching about an interesting case as well as sharing what makes their hearts flutter about their fellowship training. The case discussion is followed by both an E-CPR segment and a message from the program director.
CardioNerds Case Reports Page
CardioNerds Episode Page
Subscribe to our newsletter- The Heartbeat
Support our educational mission by becoming a Patron!
Cardiology Programs Twitter Group created by Dr. Nosheen Reza
B. ECG: atrial fibrillation with RVR, left axis deviation, poor r wave progression
C. Wide complex tachycardia
D. CT chest demonstrating giant aneurysm
Episode Schematics & Teaching
The CardioNerds 5! – 5 major takeaways from the #CNCR case
- Thibodeau, J. T., & Drazner, M. H. (2018). The Role of the Clinical Examination in Patients With Heart Failure. JACC. Heart failure, 6(7), 543–551.
- Abou Sherif, S., Ozden Tok, O., Taşköylü, Ö., et al. (2017). Coronary Artery Aneurysms: A Review of the Epidemiology, Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Treatment. Frontiers in cardiovascular medicine, 4, 24.
- Kawsara, A., Núñez Gil, I. J., Alqahtani, F., et al. (2018). Management of Coronary Artery Aneurysms. JACC. Cardiovascular interventions, 11(13), 1211–1223.
- Newburger, J. W., Takahashi, M., & Burns, J. C. (2016). Kawasaki Disease. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 67(14), 1738–1749.
- McCrindle, B. W., Rowley, A. H., Newburger, J. W., et al. (2017). Diagnosis, Treatment, and Long-Term Management of Kawasaki Disease: A Scientific Statement for Health Professionals From the American Heart Association. Circulation, 135(17), e927–e999.