CardioNerds, Amit Goyal, Dr. Tommy Das (Program Director of the CardioNerds Academy and Cardiology fellow at Cleveland Clinic), Dr. Rick Ferraro (Director of CardioNerds Journal Club and Cardiology fellow at the Johns Hopkins Hospital), Dr. Patrick Zakka (CardioNerds Academy Chief fellow of House Jones and Cardiology fellow at UCLA) discuss omega-3 fatty acids & the battle of the oils with Dr. Pam Taub, Director of Step Family Foundation Cardiovascular Rehabilitation and Wellness Center and Professor of Medicine at UC San Diego. Learn all about the different types of omega-3 fatty acids and the differences between prescription omega-3 fatty acids and dietary supplement fish oils. Audio editing by CardioNerds Academy Intern, Shivani Reddy.
This episode is part of the CardioNerds Lipids Series which is a comprehensive series lead by co-chairs Dr. Rick Ferraro and Dr. Tommy Das and is developed in collaboration with the American Society For Preventive Cardiology (ASPC).
Relevant disclosures: None
Pearls – Omega-3 Fatty Acids & The Battle Of The Oils
- Coming soon!
Show notes – Omega-3 Fatty Acids & The Battle Of The Oils
References – Omega-3 Fatty Acids & The Battle Of The Oils
- Arnett DK, Blumenthal RS, Albert MA, et al. 2019 ACC/AHA Guideline on the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines [published correction appears in Circulation. 2019 Sep 10;140(11):e649-e650] [published correction appears in Circulation. 2020 Jan 28;141(4):e60] [published correction appears in Circulation. 2020 Apr 21;141(16):e774].
- Grundy SM, Stone NJ, Bailey AL, et al. 2018 AHA/ACC/AACVPR/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/ADA/AGS/APhA/ASPC/NLA/PCNA Guideline on the Management of Blood Cholesterol: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines [published correction appears in Circulation. 2019 Jun 18;139(25):e1182-e1186]. Circulation. 2019;139(25):e1082-e1143.
- Authors/Task Force Members; ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines (CPG); ESC National Cardiac Societies. 2019 ESC/EAS guidelines for the management of dyslipidaemias: Lipid modification to reduce cardiovascular risk [published correction appears in Atherosclerosis. 2020 Jan;292:160-162] [published correction appears in Atherosclerosis. 2020 Feb;294:80-82]. Atherosclerosis. 2019;290:140-205.
- Bhatt D, Steg P, Miller M et al., 2019. Cardiovascular Risk Reduction with Icosapent Ethyl for Hypertriglyceridemia. The New England journal of medicine, 380(1), pp.11–22.
- Budoff M, Bhatt D, Kinninger A et al. Effect of icosapent ethyl on progression of coronary atherosclerosis in patients with elevated triglycerides on statin therapy: final results of the EVAPORATE trial. Eur Heart J. 2020;41(40):3925-3932.
- Nicholls S, Lincoff A, Garcia M et al. Effect of High-Dose Omega-3 Fatty Acids vs Corn Oil on Major Adverse Cardiovascular Events in Patients at High Cardiovascular Risk: The STRENGTH Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2020;324(22):2268-2280.
Dr. Pam Taub, Professor of Medicine, is the founding director of the StepFamily Foundation Cardiac Rehabilitation and Wellness Center at the University of California, San Diego. Dr. Taub is a leader in preventive cardiology and has authored over one hundred publications, abstracts and book chapters. Dr. Taub is a leader in multiple professional societies, including board membership for the American Society of Preventive Cardiology.
Dr. Patrick Zakka completed his medical school at the American University of Beirut in Lebanon, followed by internal medicine residency and a chief resident year at Emory University. He is currently a first year cardiology fellow at UCLA and graduated as a CardioNerds fellow in House Taussig and is now the Chief Fellow of House Jones.